Collaborative Post¦ If there is one mistake that many small businesses make, it’s not providing enough training to their staff. Employee training is often neglected, leaving small businesses with fewer staff and a much higher turnover. The businesses themselves worry too much about wasting time on training when really, it’s not a waste at all. Training is going to be the backbone of your business, and without it, you will end up with dissatisfied employees and a failing future. Larger businesses often skip out on training and they don’t realise how much of a difference it can make to their staff. Not only that, but without training, you are not furthering your employees’ futures. They come to work for you with the idea that their future is in your hands. They have goals and wishes, and you are able to make them come true if you help them to further their knowledge and expertise.
As a business leader, you have to put yourself in the shoes of your staff, and your customers, when you think about it. Your customers need to know that your staff can cope with queries, but an untrained workforce is often a dangerous one, certainly to the reputation of your organisation. No matter the size of your business, compliance training and other training types are vital to the continuation of the excellent reputation that you have built for yourself. It has to include health and safety training, security training, online software training and more. Whether you employ three people or three hundred people, training has to be well timed, effective and targeted. The right training courses in your business do so much for your employees, and we’ve got some of the reasons it’s important.
1. Improving skills. We talked about the future for your employees, and they will be waiting for you to make life easy for them. People take on a role because they believe that they will learn something, and if you aren’t providing those opportunities to learn, this is where you end up with a team of people who leave en masse. The constant hiring cycle you will be stuck in as a result is an expensive way to make a mistake in your business. The right training ensures that your staff feel as if they have a future in your company and the right skills and knowledge training improves motivation and productivity, too.
2. Confidence. According to Development Academy, 4 in 5 (79%) young people (under 35s) say they’ve missed out on work opportunities by not being assertive enough. Therefore, you can add confidence to your workforce when you offer the right training. A workforce that receives a high level of training will be more confident in their roles, and confident staff are happier. They can bring their ideas to the table and feel heard, they can push themselves and enjoy their work as a result. Confident employees are those who work better and for longer.
3. Better processes. When was the last time you considered the way your workplace is running? Accidents can happen in the workplace and they’re a growing issue. With the right compliance and the right processes in place, however, you can avoid these. None of this would be possible without the right training for your staff and good training reduces all of the risks of injury that you have in front of you. You want to keep your staff safe and happy, and training will help you with this. The wrong environment and a lack of training could be devastating to your business if accidents happen.
4. Increasing company loyalty. You want to know that the people you hire are working for you with the view to being there in your business for a long time. Longevity is a must for your staff because they will be looking for security in their role. However, with employee training, you are going to ensure that your people feel valued. If you take the time to update your training practices, listen to their requirements for success and actually ask your staff what they need, they will be more loyal to you. Reducing turnover is a must and it will save you money to train people as they want to be trained. Happy staff are loyal to a business, so what are you waiting for?
5. Increasing productivity. Staff with the right skills and knowledge are those that have the chance to be great at their jobs. With the right skills and happy staff, your people will be more productive and confident in their jobs. Take the time to train people and you will be able to improve their working practices.
Disclosure: This is a collaborative post.