“I don’t like Mondays”, sang Bob Geldof in the 1979 The Boomtown Rats song of the same title. Most people would agree with him!
So why do I quite like Mondays?
Well, I’m on maternity leave at the moment, otherwise I’d like Mondays decidedly less. Every other Monday I can get Autumn weighed at clinic, which hasn’t lost its excitement yet – I love seeing how much my little milk monster has grown.
However, one of the main reasons is that a lot of winning emails and winner’s posts of online competitions are made on Mondays, which makes it quite an exciting day. Let me explain, I have a hobby which is known as ‘comping’. This means that I spend time entering lots of competitions for fun and in the hope that if I enter lots of them then I may win some of them. That explains to my friends on Facebook why I share so many posts of competitions from so many companies (sorry!) The most popular day of the week for competitions to be posted online is a Friday (Freebie Fridays as they’re known) and the winners of these are often announced on a Monday. Every Monday as I watch notifications pop up on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, I wonder excitedly if I’ll have won anything.
I’ve been comping for just over 4 years on and off now and have been quite successful. My best wins to date probably include the following:
- A £500 gift voucher for River Island, which allowed me to go on several mini shopping sprees
- Tickets for the 2013 FA Community Shield match at Wembley Stadium between Manchester United and Wigan Athletic
- A 1950s and 1960s crystal headpiece for my wedding, worth £220 (credit for this image goes to Robert Marriott Photography, who is fantastic by the way – check him out!)
I’ve also won things for other people, which is always good too. I’ve won a Mother’s Day pamper pack for my Mum, a £60 Levi’s voucher for my Dad, a comfort blanket for Autumn and a cake topper for Glam And Geeky Mum‘s step-daughter’s birthday. I basically just enter competitions for things I would like or think someone I know would like!
“You’re so lucky! You seem to keep winning things!” people have said to me. Well, the truth is that I enter so many that the rules of probability say that I am going to win some of them. I mean, I’ve entered over 1,000 competitions just this month! So, “Where do you find all these competitions?” people have asked me.
Well, the main two websites I’ve been using over the last few years are the forums at Money Saving Expert:
And Competition Database:
They both have their pros and cons:
Money Saving Expert –
- You can thank the person for adding the competition
- There are more categories, including for post, so it’s easier in a way to find what you’re looking for
- You can mark competitions with a cross if you don’t want to enter it
- You can mark competitions with a tick if you’ve entered them
- There is a competition chat
- There’s a dedicated place to celebrate wins with others
- It’s harder to use than Competition Database
- You can’t see a monetary value of the competitions you’ve entered (I find this is a big help to push me on, as it can get monotonous entering so many competitions and there are times I lose my ‘mojo’)
- There’s no live chat, everything is a forum
- You can see how many competitions you’ve entered that day, the previous day, that week and that month
- You can see a monetary value of the competitions you’ve entered
- You can mark competitions as ignore completely, ignore for 3 hours or ignore until the next day
- The filters are great and really easy to use – you can filter by things such as category (e.g. parenting, cash and vouchers or home) and price (so if you don’t have much time, you may just want to enter higher value competitions, although it’s worth noting there may be less chance of winning as these may have higher entry rates as others will be doing the same thing)
- You can mark that you’ve entered competitions
- There’s a winners list (although people don’t always update who has won what competition – sometimes this isn’t always possible, as companies don’t always announce a name)
- There is a live chat at the site where you can talk to the owners of the site and other compers
- You can’t mark multiple competitions as ignored
- It’s easy to forget about the ‘Enter Early’ competitions as they’re in a completely separate category
So, what are you waiting for? Give it a go if you fancy it and be sure to let me know if you have any wins! Other websites do exist as well, these are just the ones I personally use, so let me know if you find any other good ones.