10 Signs your child may have anxiety – Children’s Mental Health Week

10 Signs your child may have anxiety – Children’s Mental Health Week

It’s Children’s Mental Health Week 2017 from 6th-12th February, which is a cause very important to me. I suffered from anxiety in childhood and did not get the support that I needed. I remember my parents taking me see our GP at the age of 10, as I’d been feeling sick every morning on my way to school (it was around the time I took the eleven-plus and I think this triggered my anxiety around that time). The doctor just dismissed it as ‘school phobia’, basically saying that I was just making up feeling sick to try and get out of going to school. I wasn’t though,  I loved primary school! Fortunately, a lot has changed over the last 15 years or so and there seems to be more awareness and support available now than there was for me.

10 Signs Your Child May Have Anxiety

Some signs to look out for if you’re concerned that your child may be suffering from clinical anxiety are the following:

1. If your child seems constantly worried or negative about things
  6. If your child withdraws themselves from activities with family and friends
    pexels-photo-117488.jpeg
  7. If your child cries often
    pexels-photo.jpeg
  8. If your child complains of nausea and/or headaches frequently
    pexels-photo-213858.jpeg
  9. If your child doesn’t seem to be eating properly – either too much or too little
    watermelon-summer-little-girl-eating-watermelon-food
  10. If your child seems to find it difficult to concentrate
    pexels-photo-167300.jpeg

If your child is exhibiting a combination of these symptoms and you think they may have anxiety, please go to see a doctor and make sure it’s taken seriously to ensure they get the help they need.

You can find out more about Children’s Mental Health Week here.

Like this post? Please visit me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Youtube and Google+

Spectrum Sunday

40 Comments

1. 6th February 2017 / 7:02 am

Great points, anxiety is so often considered an adult problem but it’s important to realise kids can go through it too and they are far less equipped to deal with it x
    #MarvMondays

• 6th February 2017 / 2:16 pm

Absolutely – I remember experiencing high levels of anxiety when I was about 6 years old. I had no idea how to deal with any of it until I was in my late teens x

2. 6th February 2017 / 7:06 am

What a great post, thank you so much for sharing. It’s really good to know what signs to look out for. Thanks for sharing for #marvmondays

• 6th February 2017 / 2:17 pm

Thank you and thanks for commenting 🙂 x

3. 6th February 2017 / 8:23 am

What a handy list to refer to, I can see some of these some of the time in all my children but I think we all have a little anxiety and that is just part of being human. To spot to many signs means time to act. #MarvMondays

• 6th February 2017 / 2:19 pm

Yes – some level of anxiety is healthy. After all, it stops us from doing some really silly things. It’s definitely time to act though if there’s a combination of these, as you said 🙂 Thanks for commenting x

4. 6th February 2017 / 9:46 am

I’m so glad you posted this! My little boy ticks all of these points and sometimes I find it hard to calm him down as he gets so upset/frustrated he seems to reach a level were there’s no going back. I remember my mother-in law saying he could be Autistic when he was only small (he hasn’t) as he has always been very fidgety/emotional. He swims on a Saturday and he will start worrying about it with toilet trips and talking about it on the Wednesday!

#marvmondays

• 6th February 2017 / 2:26 pm

Oh, I’m sorry to hear he gets so worried about going swimming 🙁 Lots of different conditions overlap, which makes things more difficult. I know Autism often overlaps with anxiety, but also lots of mental health conditions have similar symptoms to others. I hope perhaps as he grows up he might grow out of it or learn to control his emotions more.
      Thanks for commenting 🙂

5. 6th February 2017 / 10:14 am

My girls both suffer from it from time to time. Thankfully not all the time. Usually when something new is coming up that they are unsure of – like swimming lesson, or the SATs tests. It can just make you feel so awful to see them worried about things. Great post. Sarah #mg

• 6th February 2017 / 2:28 pm

I’m glad they don’t suffer all the time – as a child mine was always mainly around new or stressful things too like SATs, the eleven plus and going to secondary school. I’m hoping it won’t pass on to my daughter.
      Have you tried Rescue Remedy for them? It always helped to calm me down as a child.
      Thanks for commenting 🙂 x

6. 6th February 2017 / 2:15 pm

Solid info here- I feel like bc I am prone to anxiety I am hypersensitive to the facts that the girls might have some. Esp. the middle child.
    #biginklink

• 6th February 2017 / 2:30 pm

It’s possible I guess, I think anxiety often runs in families unfortunately! Thank you for commenting 🙂 x

7. 6th February 2017 / 4:56 pm

Thank you for this information. My eldest daughter (6) is definitely sensitive and a worrier (just like me) so I am keeping a close eye on how she progresses, but at the moment, I think she is doing okay. I think it’s definitely important to be aware of the symptoms, though. #MarvMondays

• 6th February 2017 / 5:22 pm

Some of us are more sensitive than others and it’s definitely a good idea to just be aware of the symptoms in case they do develop 🙂 Fingers crossed they won’t 🙂 Thank you for your comment x

8. alisonlonghurst
    6th February 2017 / 8:25 pm

I see a great deal of anxiety in some of the children I teach Taekwon-do to. Much of it driven by pressure and fear of failure. Parents need to take a small step back and let their children breathe a little. Thank you for sharing these signs. Alison x #mg

• 6th February 2017 / 8:36 pm

If it’s the case that they’re scared of failing, I expect it’s quite apparent when they’re doing Taekwon-do. Thank you for your comment x

9. 6th February 2017 / 9:09 pm

Great info here. It’s so important to point out the symptoms. #MarvMondays

10. 7th February 2017 / 12:21 am

Excellent post! When child suffer from anxiety it can often be dismissed. It’s important to remember that these things can affect them too #marvmondays

• 7th February 2017 / 12:36 am

Yes, I know how easily it was dismissed with me 🙁 Thank you and thanks for your comment xx

11. 7th February 2017 / 12:23 pm

Me again poppin back in at dreamteam

• 7th February 2017 / 12:31 pm

Hi, good to have you back again! 🙂 Thank you for your comment xx

12. organisedjo
    7th February 2017 / 10:31 pm

Thank you for putting this list together, it is really helpful. Parenting and teaching our children about their feelings is hard as trying to balance what is them learning about what butterflies in their tummy are or if something is wrong. #marvmondays

• 7th February 2017 / 10:39 pm

Indeed, it’s all a balancing act but knowing the signs of things helps 🙂 Thank you for your comment xx

13. 8th February 2017 / 12:21 pm

Thanks for sharing these warning signs. I’m still very little but my mummy will watch me when I start school x #marvmondays

14. 9th February 2017 / 2:17 pm

Such an important week and post. this is really helpful as I’m not really sure parents know what to look for… and if you’re not looking it’s even harder to recognise and help. We run a linky for autism/SEND/mental health posts called #spectrumsunday – we’d love for you to join us if you ever wish to share your posts with us. #brillblogposts

• 9th February 2017 / 3:04 pm

Definitely. I think it’s the same with lots of conditions, this is just one I’ve experienced myself. The linky sounds great, I’ll pop along to it 🙂 Thank you for your comment x

15. 9th February 2017 / 9:43 pm

I didn’t realise that children could suffer from anxiety either until it happened to us. Luckily the help is much better now as I think I also had it as a child and it was dismissed. Thanks for being such an important part of the #bigpinklink

• 10th February 2017 / 10:16 am

I’m so glad to hear things have improved. Thanks and thank you for your comment x

16. 10th February 2017 / 10:49 pm

Thanks for sharing these signs to look out for. Sorry to hear you had anxiety going to school. It must have been horrible to deal with at such a young age. It’s good to know that these days there is a lot of support and places to to turn to if needed. Thank you for linking up to the #dreamteam x

• 10th February 2017 / 11:28 pm

Thank you Annette, it was quite horrific – especially as I didn’t get the medical help I needed. It’s good to hear things have improved. Thanks for your comment xx

17. mackenzieglanville
    12th February 2017 / 4:55 am

I was recently having this conversation with one of my best friends, her usually happy confident 9 (almost 10) year old has started having trouble going to bed, has been saying she feels sad for no reason, wanting to sleep with her mum, and even refusing ice-cream. My daughter Aspen went through a similar stage around age 10 that latest for around 20 months, she is much better now. We took her to counselling, and my friend is thinking of seeking help for her daughter. It is so hard when they are so confused as to why this is even happening. Great post! Thanks so much for sharing with #mg

• 12th February 2017 / 9:47 am

I think it can be a difficult time for children as there are a lot of changes. I’m glad your daughter is much better now. Thank you for commenting xx

18. 19th February 2017 / 8:34 pm

Having taught many children in this situation I am so glad that you have written this post. It is something we all need to understand more and be more aware of. Thank you so much for sharing it with us here at #PostsFromTheHeart

• 19th February 2017 / 9:02 pm

Definitely, it would have been brilliant if people who taught me had been much more aware. Thank you for your comment xx

19. Rainbow imagine
    8th May 2017 / 11:07 am

Thanks for sharing. This is so handy.
    I do not have kids yet, but since I work with them it is good to realize the symptons of anxiety with kids.
    Rainbow imagine recently posted…The most amazing little boy who gave me a lotusMy Profile

20. Clare
    18th June 2017 / 1:00 pm

I presume you’ve never had the ‘pleasure’ of trying to get health professionals to take your concerns about your anxious child seriously? There is little to no mental health support for our kids today. What little resources there are are seriously overstretched and practically unreachable. What a naive blog post. I hope you never have to experience the battles that we have as a family.

• Autumn's Mummy
      19th June 2017 / 11:30 am

You clearly haven’t read this post properly and read about my own personal struggle to be taken seriously as a child.